December 13, 2013

It Were My Soul's Desire

From Earthly Cares to Rise

It Were My Soul's Desire is a translation by the Gaelic scholar and writer, El­ea­nor H. Hull (1860-1935) of an anonymous 11th century Irish poem. The recommended tune in the Divine Office is Maria Jung und Zart, first published in the Geistliche Catholische Kirchengesäng of 1623. Two alternative tunes that it can also be sung to are: Quam Dilecta and St. Cecilia, as featured in the following videos. In the Divine Office, It Were My Soul's Desire is sung with Morning Prayer.


Tune: Quam Dilecta

It Were My Soul's Desire translated by Eleanor Hull (Public Domain)

1. It were my soul's desire
To see the face of God;
It were my soul's desire
To rest in His abode.

 2. It were my soul's desire
 To study zealously;
 This, too, my soul's desire,
 A clear rule set for me.

 3. It were my soul's desire
 A spirit free from gloom;
 It were my soul's desire
 New life beyond the Doom.

 4. It were my soul's desire
 To shun the chills of Hell;
 Yet more my soul's desire
 Within His house to dwell.

 5. It were my soul's desire
 To imitate my King,
 It were my soul's desire
 His ceaseless praise to sing. 

6. It were my soul's desire
 When heaven's gate is won
 To find my soul's desire
 Clear shining like the sun.

 7. Grant, Lord, my soul's desire,
 Deep waves of cleansing sighs;
 Grant, Lord, my soul's desire
 From earthly cares to rise.

 8. This still my soul's desire
 Whatever life afford,
 To gain my soul's desire
 And see Thy face, O Lord.

Tune: St. Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks